Senior Dog Care
As your dog ages, their health needs change. At Salmon Brook Veterinary Hospital, we know how to lovingly provide senior dogs with the veterinary care they need to age gracefully and comfortably.
You may notice many changes occurring in your aging dog: reduced hearing, changes in eyesight, arthritis, cognitive dysfunction, or behavior changes.
These changes will develop gradually, and it may be difficult for you to notice them occurring. Therefore, our veterinary team are advocates of bi-annual senior wellness exams. During the senior wellness exam, our doctors and staff will examine your dog and target medical issues common to senior dogs. Early detection of these issues can help prevent the progression of disease and minimize the suffering of a senior dog. Working together with you, we will develop a great plan to ensure optimal health for your dog.
A senior wellness exam at Salmon Brook Veterinary Hospital includes:
- An in-depth senior wellness exam, including a dental evaluation.
- Comprehensive diagnostic testing that may include a senior dog blood profile analysis (blood count and blood chemistry panel).
- Urine and fecal analysis.
- Blood and eye pressure testing as necessary.
- Vaccinations, parasite protection, heartworm testing and prevention
- Behavioral evaluation and counseling
- Nutritional and Diet Counseling
We want to help you in providing your aging dog with the best and most comprehensive senior veterinary care so that they experience an active, healthy and happy life throughout their “golden years!”