Home • News
The Powassan Virus has been found in ticks in southern Ct this year but no human or animal cases have been reported. It is a rare disease with only 50 cases reported in people throughout the northeastern and Great Lakes regions on the U. S. in the past 10 years. It can cause severe and occasionally fatal neurologic disease. There is no treatment so prevention is the key. Do all you can to prevent a tick bite. Ticks can transmit this virus very quickly.
1) Avoid ticks by avoiding wooded and bushy areas with high grass.
2) Apply insect repellents, DEET on bare skin and permethrins on clothing.
3) Conduct full body tick checks daily.
4) Keep you pets free of ticks by the application of good tick repellents. Call us for advise on the best tick prevention for your pets
5) Perform routine full body tick checks after your pets have been outside. Pets are pretty resistant to the disease but can act as carriers of infected ticks.
If you have any questions please call!