Home • News
There are many substances and foods that are toxic for our pets. While several of these we have known about for a long time, some may surprise you. For instance, marijuana is very toxic to pets. The frequency with which pets are being exposed to marijuana has increased in recent years. The most common way that cats and dogs ingest marijuana is in food products containing the drug. The signs of intoxication can occur quickly and last for days. Signs include ataxia (lack of muscle control, incoordination), tremors, vomiting, urine dribbling, hyperstartle response, depression and drowsiness.
Another toxin that many do not think of is E-cigarettes (as well as traditional cigarettes). Ingestion of nicotine poses a serious risk to pets. E-cigarettes pose a higher risk of ingestion than traditional cigarettes because the e-juice comes in different flavors that can be attractive to pets. The clinical signs of ingestion/exposure can happen quickly and include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, weakness and seizures.
The following are other foods/substances which are very toxic for pets: chocolate, rat poison, OTC medications, xylitol (found in peanut butters, gum, toothpaste and many OTC supplements), grapes and raisins, mushrooms, alcohol, plants, onions and garlic, and antifreeze. In the case that your pet ingests any of these, it is imperative that you call the ASPCA Poison Control at 1-888-426-4435, or your veterinarian immediately. In most cases, the sooner the pet begins treatment, the better the outcome.