Home • News
This time of year many people are treating their homes, camps and lawns with a variety of poisons, or rodenticides, to control their rodent populations. Unfortunately they are toxic to our pets and ourselves. These products are flavored to attract pests but end up attracting our pets too! After being eaten, rodenticides work in three main ways:
1. Prevent blood clotting with warfarin like chemicals
2. Attack the nervous system with neurotoxins
3. Cause phosphine gas release in the stomach that then attacks all the major organs in the body
People can be exposed to the phosphine gas in the vomit of a dog that has eaten it or even in the dog’s breath. Please keep your pets away from all rodenticides! If you suspect any exposure to these poisons call Animal Poison Control 888-426-4435 and our hospital 860-653-7238. Try to identify the exact product as treatment varies depending on the toxin. Most cases if treated promptly do very well!